Suggestion for Newbies [Was: Curt Tone]

bryan at redfedora.co.uk bryan at redfedora.co.uk
Fri Jul 16 08:15:45 UTC 2004

> Now if that's professionalism then man wtf where have i been.
> You want my job? I listen to idiots ask the exact same thing only about
> windows and why doesn't my sound card work all day long..
> If I answered anyway CLOSE to the responces i got from some of the
> answers i got from here, my ass would be out the door and jobless...
> Sorry if i offended some, and i'm sure i did. but i didn't exactly get a
> warm welcome.
>
> And yes, Wal-Mart does sell linux loaded pc's so expect not only joe
> 6-pack but his wife that yse to be his sister and their 4.3 children to
> ask a lot dumber things than i did.

Hi Mathew

I guess that's what they call a baptism of fire :-0 and we're not all like
that honestly!

Like I said before I can see both sides of the argument and it does
frustrate me a tad. You'll see exactly what I mean when you get up to speed
with the linux stuff. Getting the healthy balance appears to be getting
harder and harder to achieve and you're quite right, I work in support in a
windows environment for my living and yesterdays pearler was 'my printer
won't print' in an uptight manner from the person doing the printing. I took
a quick peek and the wrong paper size had been selected so the printer was
waiting to be fed the correct sized paper.

Everyone has issues at different levels is what I guess I'm trying to say,
going off on a one frustrates everyone involved, showing someone properly
gives them the ability to do it right next time and also help them to show
someone else further down the line. It is supposed to be a linux community
after all.

So sorry for the initial rough ride you received. If you look back in the
archives you'll see that there are various people trying to coordinate a
'pitfalls to look out for' for people doing a new installation and your
experience would probably be a good yardstick as to what needs to be
improved.

Bry