Removing User

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Fri Jul 16 14:36:32 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 07:58, edwarner99 at yahoo.com wrote:
> I ran this command:
>
> last -f /var/run/utmp
> casey   pts/59  :0.0  Fri Jul 16 08:54   still logged
> in
> casey   pts/14  :0.0  Sun Jul 11 08:49    gone - no
> logout
> casey   :0            Sun Jul 11 10:09   still logged
> in
> reboot   system boot
>
> How do I remove the second entry where it says
> "gone-not logout"?
> Thanks,

Why remove it?  It simply says the connection/session terminated without
a logout.

How?  I have no idea since that is a binary file and I would never want
to edit utmp. that keeps track of all logins for all users so it is easy
to follow what is happening/by whom/when

If you can edit the utmp file at will, it becomes easier for a hacker to
hide their tracks.