ATI 8500 3D - Long reply.

Justin Niedzialek justinn at engr.uconn.edu
Fri Jul 16 14:38:25 UTC 2004

> I followed the instructions to the letter.  The patch went fine.  When
> it came time to do the "sh make.sh" I ran into problems:
>
>     [root at bilbo build_mod]# patch -p1 -i /mnt/usb/fglrx-3.9.0-fc2.patch
>     patching file 2.6.x/Makefile
>     patching file firegl_public.c
>     patching file firegl_public.h
>     patching file make.sh
>
> So far, so good.
>
>     [root at bilbo build_mod]# sh make.sh
>     ATI module generator V 2.0
>     ==========================
>     initializing...
>     Error:
>     XFree86 drm includes at
>     /lib/modules/2.6.6-1.435.2.3/build/include/../drivers/char/drm do not
>     fit this driver.
>     This driver is designed to only work with X4.1.0 or higher.
>     You can match this by getting Linux kernel 2.4.8 or higher.
>     [root at bilbo build_mod]#

Don't know if this will help you at all, but the error message you are
getting is the same one you would get if you did not apply the patch.
If you check your new make.sh (after patching) does it contain the line
"#Fedora Core 2 work around"?  followed by 3 lines of text?  If it does
contain those lines then you may have to either manually set the
variable drmincludes_2 or I seem to remember creating a sym-link similar
to this, this will probably help fix it if I remember right.

cd /usr/src
ln -s linux-2.6.6-1.435.2.3 linux-2.6.6-1.435

Because I think that is what the patch is going to look for.

> To address Markku's questions, I forgot to get the Xorg log last night,
> but glxinfo says:
Also, output from fglrxinfo should give you a quick obvious answer as to
whether you have ATI's 3D running.  If it looks like the following you
do:

display: :0.0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: RADEON 9200 DDR Generic
OpenGL version string: 1.3 (X4.3.0-3.9.0)

Otherwise it will mention Mesa instead of ATI and you don't have 3d
accel enabled.

> Which, I'm pretty sure means what we expect: software 3D.
>
> -Peter
Regards,
Justin
--