Could someone explain these error messages from FC2 dmesg?

Yang Xiao yxiao2004 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 14:54:45 UTC 2004

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 10:47:21 -0400, Bob Chiodini
<chiodr at kscems.ksc.nasa.gov> wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 01:34, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
> >
> > Could someone explain these error messages from FC2 dmesg?
> >
> > The error messages do not appear when I boot the same hardware with FC1.
>
> > hdb: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> > hdb: command error: error=0x54
> > end_request: I/O error, dev hdb, sector 0
> > hdd: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> > hdd: command error: error=0x54
> > end_request: I/O error, dev hdd, sector 1437824
> > hdd: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> > hdd: command error: error=0x54
> > end_request: I/O error, dev hdd, sector 0
>
> Something, maybe magidev, is checking to see if there is a CD in the
> drive.  Do the messages occur before or after you log in to X?
>
> In any case, I see these messages quite often and they appear harmless.
>
> Bob...

Hi,
try put a cd in the drive and see if you still see the errors during
boot, I think it was addressed earlier(can't remember exactly where),
that it's smartd trying to check removable media and complains when
there's no media in the drive.
However, I only saw it when using the packaged kernel 2.6.5-1.358 from
FC2, once I upgraded to 435, the error went away.
Yang