Red-Carpet, Yum, and up2date

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Fri Jul 16 15:09:23 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 15:50, Andrew Konosky wrote:
> Well, since I started with Linux in RH8, I have been using up2date to
> get the official updates, but I didn't know about programs like yum,
> apt, and red-carpet untill I really took the linux plunge with FC2.
>
> For the last two weeks or so that I have been running FC2, I have been
> using yum to update and install stuff, but for some reason yum would not
> see the same updates that up2date sees.

I believe that this is most likely to be caused by one or both of two
things: either the mirrors yum is using are lagging slightly behind the
mirrors that up2date are using, or that your yum.conf file is missing an
entry for Fedora Core 2 Updates Released.

> Now I switched to red-carpet and get the same thing.

Are you subscribed to the right channels? In a terminal,

rug ch

will list the channels and tell you what you are subscribed to.

> In up2date, it says it is using a yum channel, so I
> copied the url and tried to add it into red-carpet, but it can't connect.

I don't believe that you can add a yum channel as a service directly in
Red Carpet or rug in that way. What the Red Carpet developers mean when
they say that Red Carpet now supports yum repositories is this: if a
third party has a yum repository, then the Open Carpet server software
that the rcd daemon connects to can import that and provide it as a Red
Carpet channel without the third party having to do anything at their
end.

> I like red carpet better, since up2date freezes up on me almost every
> other time I use it. How do I get red carpet to use the up2date channel?

You need to subscribe to the fedora-updates channel.

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren at dzr-web.com          www.dzr-web.com