Can up2date be completely turned off without removing it?

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 16 18:00:57 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 04:00:35PM -0400, William Hooper wrote:
> Nifty Hat Mitch said:
> [snip]
> >
> > yum like up2date is a tool for fetching rpm packages. Think of it as a
> > front end.
> >
> > Both use rpm to do the actual install.
> >
> > The 'yum protocol' is well suited for the distributed mirror
> > tricks and now up2date also includes yum along with http and ftp as
> > 'protocols' to define how a mirror presents packages it fetches.
>
> Not quite.  Yum is a metadata format (a data format for the RPM
> data).  The new thing about up2date is that it now understands yum
> and apt metadata formats along with understanding the RHN format.
> Apt, yum, and up2date all use http and ftp protocols.

Yep... that is why I quoted 'yum protocol'.

Since metadata is part of any protocol I felt I was safe enough.

The concept of metadata is important to understand if anyone wishes to
build a local yum distribution dir.

Since network bandwidth is a real expense those of us with multiple
boxes (+3 or so) should look at a local redistribution point.  yum is
a good tool for local (site) redistributions.

The archives are full of discussions on how to build a local redistribution
point.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	/dev/dull where insight begins.