modprobe: Can't open dependencies file

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Fri Jul 16 18:03:41 UTC 2004

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004, Patrick wrote:

> System: Fedora Core 1
>
> modprobe: Can't open dependencies file
> /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2188.nptl/modules.dep (No such file or
> directory)
>
>  I have been getting this error in my Logwatch file. I think up2date
> must have modified something and I cannot figure out how to fix it.
> The computer is a server which is remotely hosted so I cannot
> physically get to it. Is there something I can do to resolve this
> problem? I have been doing some reading and I think that by using
> depmodules I can fix it. Does this sound correct? I don't want to do
> anything to screw up the system since it is located 1200 miles away.
> They will reload the system image if I mess something up real bad but
> the charge is pretty steep. I would also have to reload all of my
> server stuff which isn't appealing either.  :-)
>
> Here is some more info if it will help out:
>
> uname -a gives: 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl
>
> under /lib/modules
> the only directory present is: 2.4.22-1.2197.nptl
> This directory does have a file called "modules.dep" contained within
> it.
>
>  From my reading, it seems like all I need to do is change a
> configuration file somewhere to have it look in the right place for
> the modules. I want to be sure I don't screw something up on the
> server though.
>
> Thanks in advance for the help !!!!

Looks like you've upgraded the kernel with 'rpm -F' instead of 'rpm -i'
You could verify if the old kernel is still there with:

rpm -q kernel

If necessary (as long as you have a working kernel and rpm) could
install back the old kernel with:

rpm -ivh --oldpackage kernel.....rpm

The solutuion would be to reboot to the new 2197 kernel.

Satish