Would you put web-server on the same machine as your company internal database?

Mark Eggers mdeggers at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 16 18:07:54 UTC 2004

Is there any compelling business reason to do this?

Do they serve any common functions?

I can't imagine exposing my internal server to the Internet, no matter
how secure I thought a machine was.

I can't imagine exposing my internal network to my external server other
than to access the services it would normally provide to the external
world.

While I try to keep up with the latest security trends, patches, and
designs, I'm sure that I'll miss something.  I'm also sure that there
are more "black hats" out there than there are "white hats".

While I've not been bit yet, I don't see any reason to increase my
Internet footprint more than required by business needs.  If that means
I have to maintain multiple machines, transfer information physically,
and otherwise do a little extra work . . . so be it.

To me, the extra work is nothing compared to having your company's
financial information compromised, or even the amount of work it takes
to recover from an "innocent" but fumble-fingered cracker.

/mde/
just my (paranoid) two cents . . . .