Sendmail and spamassassin

Skylar Thompson skylar at cs.earlham.edu
Fri Jul 16 19:30:12 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 11:05:52PM +0200, Edwin Dicker wrote:
> Hi All,
> I have installed and configured sendmail ( nothing really complicated in the
> sendmail.mc file )
> I also have installed spamassassin RPM (spamassassin-2.63-8)
> I have noticed that spamd is running on my system but When I receive mail on
> my clients there is nothing in the headers of the mail which indicates that
> spamd hads processed it. What do I have to tell sendmail to let spamd
> process the incoming mail ?

SpamAssassin can be called in a number of ways. There's a dedicated milter
called spamass-milter (http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/spamass-milt/).
You can also call it through another milter called MIMEDefang
(http://www.mimedefang.org/), which will also do other processing such as
ensuring that unsafe attachments don't get through as well.

If your users don't require personalized SpamAssassin preferences via the
user_prefs file, you can also achieve extremely high performance with a
non-milter, two queue solution called MailScanner
(http://www.mailscanner.info). If your users do require user_prefs files,
you can sacrifice some performance by combining the spamass-milter solution
with MailScanner by turning off the SpamAssassin scanning with MailScanner.

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar at cs.earlham.edu)
-- http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~skylar/