Dell Optiplex GX150 - No Sound

John Wendel john.wendel at metnet.navy.mil
Fri Jul 16 20:37:19 UTC 2004

On Friday 16 July 2004 11:26 am, James Pifer wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 14:14, John Wendel wrote:
> > On Thursday 15 July 2004 05:07 am, James Pifer wrote:
> > > I have Fedora Core 2 installed on a Dell Optiplex GX150 and I can't get
> > > the sound to work. It seems like it has detected the right hardware,
> > > yet I have no sound. I've had RH9, FC1, Mandrake, and Knoppmyth
> > > installed at one point or another on this same hardware and the sound
> > > worked ok.
> > >
> > > My modprobe.conf looks like:
> > > alias eth0 3c59x
> > > alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
> > > install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 &&
> > > /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> > > remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
> > > /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
> > > alias usb-controller uhci-hcd
> > >
> > > In messages I get:
> > > Jul 15 07:40:36 mythtv-fe1 modprobe: FATAL: Error running install
> > > command for sound_slot_1
> > > Jul 15 07:40:51 mythtv-fe1 modprobe: FATAL: Error running install
> > > command for sound_slot_1
> > >
> > > Installed alsa versions are:
> > > alsa-lib 1.0.5-0_14.rhfc2.at
> > > alsa-lib-devel 1.0.5-0_14.rhfc2.at
> > > alsa-utils 1.0.5-0_9.rhfc2.at
> > > libasound2 1.0.5-0_14.rhfc2.at
> > >
> > > Any suggestions?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > James
> >

> Hi John. I tried your modprobe.conf and I still get the following error:
> modprobe: FATAL: Error running install command for sound_slot_1
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> James

Sorry, stupid me, I sent you the modprobe.conf from my Fedora 1 box. My Fedora
2 box modprobe.conf looks like yours.

Looks like something in mythtv is misconfigured. You should post the details
of your TV card, probably some smart person will see it and reveal the
correct incantation. I wish I had a TV card :)

Maybe your TV card has on-board sound that is being incorrectly
detected/configured and you actually have 2 sound devices. Check dmesg and
messages for any clues. And maybe lspci output would show something
interesting.

Regards,

John Wendel