Utility to extract .SIT (StuffIt) archives?

netmask netmask at enZotech.net
Fri Jul 16 20:47:35 UTC 2004

> You're right, the unstuff executable extracts that sample file just fine.  It
> does not however open the file I received from a customer.  I can't post that
> file on-line as it contains personal information.

Interesting.. I don't know /anything/ about stuffit, but I know people like
WinZip have new "High Compression" features that aren't compat with unzip (or
WinRar, etc)..

I wonder if Stuffit has added new features in their 8.0 release that aren't in
the older releases.

I would drop them a note if you have the time and let them know they should
update their linux versions when they update their Windows version. Perhaps
send them the strace output of that command.

> I ended up having to download the demo of Stuffit for Windows to get the
> files extracted.

Hopefully that was Windows running under vmware! :P

> Thanks for all your help but I'm giving up on this.  I hopefully won't have
> to deal with Stuffit files much in the future.

Long live bzip2.