Core 3 Release 1 - SELinux is activated by default

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 16 22:08:39 UTC 2004

Terry Linhardt wrote:
> I note that in Core 3, Release 1, SELinux is activated by default.
>
> My impression (albeit from VERY little experience in Core 2) is that
> SELinux is a significantly different beast. If my assumption is correct
> that a certain learning curve is involved, I question whether SELinux
> should be activated by default.
>
> Just some thoughts.
>
> Thanks...Terry

Relating back to all the limitations that SELinux had to prevent files
from installing, not allowing certain applications to work as they have
for several distributions, it is great that SELinux was not enabled
default for FC2.

The people supporting SELInux have come up with a better targeted method
for enforcement. I think that this approach is a much better aproach to
concentrate on protecting.

I upgraded a system and was bitten early on by SELinux which was just
the existence of a directory called /selinux.

I'll try to enable it on a clean install later. So far, it seems that
there are not a lot of failures caused by the new direction that SELinux
has taken.

We'll see the SELinux related bugs with more testers probably. I
inquired about a USB problem that locked up a system on boot. This was
not related to SELinux.

Let's hope that the testers and the developers caught most before FC3T1
was made available.

Jim

--
If you refuse to accept anything but the best you very often get it.