PCMIA Issues

Norman Gaywood norm at turing.une.edu.au
Fri Jul 16 23:33:29 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 04:20:57PM -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Chris Canavan wrote:
> >That did the trick.  Is there a way to implement this
> >fix permanently through the startup routine.
>
> This has been a thorn in the side for a long time--especially with
> pcmcia-based network cards.  The problem is that the network is started
> long before pcmcia is (the /etc/rc.d/rcx.d sequence number for network
> is S10, that for PCMCIA is S24).
>
> The easiest fix is to:
>
> 	cd /etc/rc.d/rc(your-run-level).d
> 	mv S24pcmcia S09pcmcia
>
> so pcmcia starts before the network.  The network scripts are supposed
> to work around this issue, but they don't reliably.

Even easier, and more correct IMHO, is to NOT set "start on boot" option
of the PCMCIA network card interface setup.

The network interface will start when PCMCIA starts or when you plug-in
your PCMCIA network card.

--
Norman Gaywood, Systems Administrator
School of Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science

norm at turing.une.edu.au            Phone: +61 (0)2 6773 2412
http://turing.une.edu.au/~norm    Fax:   +61 (0)2 6773 3312