FC2: SMP problems on IBM X330 server

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Sat Jul 17 00:22:13 UTC 2004

Richard Welty wrote:
> John Wendel <john.wendel at metnet.navy.mil> writes:
>
>>On Friday 16 July 2004 11:02 am, Richard Welty wrote:
>>
>>>the kernels i've been using are:
>>>
>>>$ rpm -q kernel
>>>kernel-2.6.6-1.435
>>>$ rpm -q kernel-smp
>>>kernel-smp-2.6.6-1.435
>

> i saw slightly newer kernels, so i updated. it didn't help.
>

>>>when i try to bring the SMP kernel up, it starts but after it reports
>

>>>using cfq io scheduler
>

>>>ide0 at 0x1f0-01f7, 03f6 on irq 14
>>>ide-cd: cmd 0x5a timed out
>>>hda: lost interrupt
>

>>Total shot in the dark since I don't have a box like this, but I'd disable DMA
>>on the failing device (assuming that it is on).
>

> well, i couldn't find a way to disable DMA in the bios, but i did
> physically remove the IDE CD-ROM drive, and it's running
> just fine with the SMP kernel.
>
> how to get 2 CPUs *and* a CD-ROM drive at the same time, now that's
> the question.

Did you try adding "noapic" to the boot command?  That fixes a lot of
weirdness on SMP mobos--especially AMD ones.

As for disabling DMA, you can disable DMA to a specific device by adding
"hdx=nodma" in the boot command, e.g. "hdc=nodma" if your CD is the
master drive on the secondary controller.  How you add either the
"noapic" and/or the "hdx=nodma" depends on your boot loader.  For
grub, interrupt grub's boot, edit the boot command, scroll down to the
"kernel" line and tack the desired options on to the end of the line.
Hit ENTER and "B" to boot.  If it works, edit /boot/grub/grub.conf
to make the changes permanent.
-      A day for firm decisions!!!   Well, then again, maybe not!    -