PCMIA Issues

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sat Jul 17 00:23:18 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 19:33, Norman Gaywood wrote:

> > The easiest fix is to:
> >
> > 	cd /etc/rc.d/rc(your-run-level).d
> > 	mv S24pcmcia S09pcmcia
> >
> > so pcmcia starts before the network.  The network scripts are supposed
> > to work around this issue, but they don't reliably.
>
> Even easier, and more correct IMHO, is to NOT set "start on boot" option
> of the PCMCIA network card interface setup.
>
> The network interface will start when PCMCIA starts or when you plug-in
> your PCMCIA network card.

While this works it always seemed to me that this was still a poor work
around for this problem.  It does not make a lot of sense that when you
set "do not start on boot" in the network dialog that the card will
subsequently startup.  And if you do set start on boot it will NOT start
up.

What if you really don't want that card to start up?  Or on the off
chance that you have two pcmcia cards (probably nobody has that) and you
want just one or the other to start up?  With the current solution this
would be impossible.

I need to check bugzilla to see if this is still an open issue or if
there is even a request for change to this.
--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Kettering's Observation:
	Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence.