dual-booting without GRUB or LILO

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sat Jul 17 01:55:45 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 11:38, - - s r b - - wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to boot into Fedora on a system that also contains 2
> windows partitions (NT & XP), without installing GRUB or LILO?

no.  Grub or lilo are needed, but do not need to be on the mbr. They can
be on the linux boot sector.  There are ways to make the ntloader of
either xp or nt boot the linux partition (see below).

> Can I create a boot floppy?

Cannot boot from a floppy, but can use a floppy to boot from the hdisk.

> Can I add an entry to the windows boot loader?

yes.
short and sweet.  take the first 512 bytes of the boot sector of linux
(where grub or lilo reside) and make it a file in windows c:\
directory.  Then call that with the boot.ini file. (details missing).