Dell Dimension 4600

Andrew Konosky TerranAce007 at comcast.net
Sat Jul 17 03:47:40 UTC 2004

Sölvi Páll Ásgeirsson wrote:

>>Solvi,
>>
>>What are your needs for the machine? Home-PC w/ light
>>home/business use; mid size business w/ 20 users? Are
>>you editing broadcast video?
>>I build my own. but for you, I need to understand
>>function. Consider: if the power supply needs
>>replacing, is this a $40 part, or $140 part coz you
>>have to order if from a big brand name?
>>
>>What about upgrading next year? Are you locked in to
>>their brand offerings, or can you "pick'n'mix." If you
>>DIY, will that "break the warranty."
>>
>>Consider cars (autos)-
>>Many years ago, if you got the oil and filter changed
>>at anywhere other than the franchise dealer, next time
>>you went to the dealer they pitched a fit. Today
>>dealers accept that oil and filter change does not
>>compromise warranty. We all know that it does not
>>require "factory trained technicians" to twist off an
>>oil filter.
>>
>>Suggestion-
>>define use, hardware requirements, and build it
>>yourself.
>>
>>kate
>>B.Sc Information Systems
>>

>Thank you for a nice answer.  This computer is supposed to be my
>personal workstation.
>I look at vendors like Dell, IBM and HP because of warranty.
>The purpose of this machine is for some development, occasional game
>play(Such as newly-gone-gold Doom 3 :)), web-surfing and such.
>I looked at putting together one myself, but the price difference is
>relatively small compared to the hassle.
>Plus, I can return the WinXP license and get a refund.(Yes, I looked
>into it.  Icelandic laws are a treat when it comes to this.)
>My old HP-Brio is becoming outdated, that's why I'm looking for an
>upgrade.

I agree. Build your own. OEM systems are generally good for the average
user, but they skimp out in certain hardware areas sometimes such as
motherboards. You still get a warranty on your machine, as long as you
buy retail components or OEM one with manufacturer warranties. And whats
the deal with the "Buy now and get a free 128mb memory upgrade!" Why are
they still building systems with only 128mb of RAM when a 256mb stick is
so cheap now. Even 512mb is cheap and it is also the current
'recommended standard' of performance.

If its too much of a hassle for you, just make sure you get what you
want out of the computer without paying a fortune. Don't pay extra for
all the included software. You can be 100% certain that its for Windows,
and since you want to run linux, theres no point in that.