Fixing a Linux RAID 1 software mirror

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Jul 17 14:52:04 UTC 2004

On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 09:31:10 -0500,
  Gregory Gulik <greg at gulik.org> wrote:

> I don't know if this helps or not but I'm having a very similar problem
> with RAID on a server still running Red Hat 9.  lsraid shows partitions
> going away all the time but if I check again a day or two later they are
> fine again.  I was never able to find any reason for that but it's been
> over a year now and still no data loss.  It does make me VERY nervous
> every time it happens.

I had that happen and upgrading to fc2 completely fixed the problem.
I was using a highpoint rocket 133 controller card. My best guess is
that the driver for that card was bad. It is possible there was a bug
in software raid, but I think there would have been a lot more reports
of problems if that were the case. I wasn't able to turn up much
along those lines in my searches.

In my case I typically had to reboot to get a drive working once it
started having problems. Often the main partition (100+GB) wouldn't
finish syncing before it happened again.