Fixing disk errors

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sat Jul 17 14:44:49 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-17 at 01:15, Michael Mansour wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been on holidays and one of my production systems
> has produced disk errors on a linux RAID 0 stripe
> (FC1). After correcting hundreds of errors using fsck
> in single-user mode, I continue to get the following 2
> errors on each fsck run:
>
> # fsck -f /dev/md6
> fsck 1.34 (25-Jul-2003)
> e2fsck 1.34 (25-Jul-2003)
> Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
> Error reading block 6689 (Attempt to read block from
> filesystem resulted in short read) while doing inode
> scan.  Ignore error<y>? yes
>
> Force rewrite<y>? yes
>
> Error reading block 7714 (Attempt to read block from
> filesystem resulted in short read) while doing inode
> scan.  Ignore error<y>? yes
>
> Force rewrite<y>? yes
>
> I can mount the filesystem without dramas, but am
> wondering how I can fix the above issues permanently?

If you are getting errors on the same blocks each time then it sounds
like that drive has hard errors that it is unable to work around.  As
such you need to be thinking about replacing the disk drive ASAP since
this could be an indication that a really bad failure is about to
occur.  Make immediate backups of all data on that drive, move that data
to another disk and use from there.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com