Burning the Rescue CD error

Robert kerplop at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 17 15:11:17 UTC 2004

Philippe wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-07-17 at 01:26, Jerry Schromm wrote:
>
>>Hi everyone. Hey I was failing to burn the FC2 i386 Rescue disc with
>>some error. Couldn't follow it or something. Should have wrote it down
>>verbatim. Anyway it burned when I put Nero the burning software on
>>Disc at Once instead of what it was on Track at Once.
>>
>>So is Disc at Once fine to create that rescue disc?? Let me know. I
>>have yet to try it to see if it works. By the way I burned all the
>>other ISO's to the Fedora core 2 with Track at Once. Tell me what you
>>think.
>
> Hi,
>
> For information, I burn my ISO CD exactly same I did for my rescue CD,
> but it was with K3B under Linux. I think the default is TAO for burning
> CD with K3B. Maybe a medium erro, try to burn at 4x only.
>
> Maybe it helps.
>
> Philippe

Just yesterday I spent several hours and about 30 CDRs, proving that in
order to burn CDs reliably from the cdrecord cli the "-dao" option was
required. **This was on MY system. YMMV**
My primary box:
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe ver 2.0 m/b
Athlon XP 2700+
512MB DDR
Sony DRU-530A
  uname -a
Linux mavis 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl #1 Wed Jan 7 12:57:33 EST 2004 i686
athlon i386 GNU/Linux
Testing (stumbling about in the dark???) was done using Sony brand CDRs
rated for speeds 1x - 48x.

I burned good CDRs at speeds up to 40x (drive's rated max) using the
-dao option but consistently got platters at any speed (I think I tried
2x) without "-dao".  Since my burner is a recent addition, I tried
burning the same files using my old LG CDRW which now resides in an old
box running (at that time) FC2, kernel 2.6.6-something.

I know that in the past, $ cdrecord -v dev=1,0,0 *discN*
(from the directory containing the iso images, N=CD number)
would always produce good CDs. But it sure didn't when I tried burning
the FC3t1 iso files to CD.

BTW, I settled on that option as the key by looking at the command
string used by XCDRoast (which is admittedly cumbersome but reliable
without exception), discarding the irrevelant stuff (gracetime=, etc)
and eliminating the other options by trial & error.

I hope someone can give a valid explanation.

--
Learn to pause -- or nothing worthwhile can catch up to you.

  10:09:00  up 2 days, 22:58,  9 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.03
      One billion seconds ago it was 07:22:20 CST Wed 11/08/72

Repeat after me: "The primary purpose of any government
entity is to employ the unemployable."