Suggestion for Newbies [Was: Curt Tone]

Timothy Payne tim at tmpco.com
Sat Jul 17 15:54:29 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-17 at 07:34, Lew Bloch wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 02:40:04 -0400
> > From: Mathew Brown <mbrown0420 at sympatico.ca>
> > And yes, Wal-Mart does sell linux loaded pc's so expect not only joe
> > 6-pack but his wife that yse to be his sister and their 4.3 children to
> > ask a lot dumber things than i did.
>
> Nice rhetoric and really good use of imagery, but a bit mean and rife
> with stereotypes.
>
> Wal-Mart is the biggest business in America, perhaps in the world, and
> it didn't get that way by being a stupid consumer choice.  In fact, many
> computer programmers who never even had a sister, much less married one,
> shop there.  Some Fedora users, in fact - I'm one, and I just was at
> Wal-Mart last night.  Didn't see one customer there married to his
> sister, either.
>
> My point is that flaming and flame-baiting won't get you a better
> response.  Believe me, I know this - I do my share of flaming, just
> because it's sooooo satisfying sometimes.  But no list/newsgroup member
> has ever respected me for it.  (Some have, however, answered my
> questions thoughtfully and helpfully anyway - nothing teaches humility
> better than to get a measured, sympathetic, helpful response after
> having been a complete asshole.  At least, I hope it will.)
>
> Others have responded to your Fedora questions quite well; in fact, I
> learned a thing or two myself from their responses.  I'd like to
> recommend a few pointers for flaming, though.
>
> First of all, avoid cultural and racial stereotypes.  There's no place
> for that kind of prejudice in the modern world.
>
> Proper flames and flame-bait pick on individual characteristics of the
> person you are attacking.  Chances are, the person you hoped to enrage
> either doesn't shop at Wal-Mart or is not incestuous.  Your point will
> not get under their skin.  Aim your contempt squarely and precisely on
> the intended target so that they realize you are picking apart their
> personal, individual flaws.  The shoe will fit; they'll be forced to
> wear it.
>
> Second, be clever.  The best flame will enrage a person twice - once for
> being insulting and twice for being so well done that they have to
> admire it anyway.
>
> Also, lists and newsgroups are public fora.  If your flame is stupid or
> crude, you are boring many people.  At least if you're witty or subtle
> you provide entertainment for the captive audience.
>
> Third, remain friendly if you can.  There's a good chance if you met
> your target face to face you'd be friendly, even while trading
> witticisms.  Let the poor schnook know that you don't hate them or even
> have true contempt for them; you're simply engaging in an ego exercise
> to let the world know how sharp you can be, just as I'm doing here.
>
> If someone flames you back, well, that's what happens when you open the
> door.  At least you can set a standard that allows forward progress
> while the sardonic retorts fly through cyberspace.

> [...]

I see by your email address you must be Canadian, you may not know that
"Joe six-pack" is not a term of derision.  He's a hard working average
guy that just wants to flop in his favorite chair and have a beer after
a hard days work.  Then deal with the wife and kids.  I didn't write the
sister thing, but it's a joke, and should be taken as such, you can't
marry your sister in America.  And the Wal-Mart thing, I was only to
letting people know that a retailer the size of a small country, is
selling machines with Linux on them, lucky for us in the Linux
community.  But it's a big train with lots of questions, so if you don't
like questions from the uninformed stay of the track.

Second as a Buddhist I can never justify flaming someone for any
reason.  This would cause that person to suffer, however small it may
be, there is no excuse to harm anyone.  Just because you think you are
clever does not reduce the suffering you cause the other person.

We are wasting allot space to this subject.

Tim...