vnc fails on port 5811

Barry Yu barryyupuilee at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 17 19:09:24 UTC 2004

William Hooper wrote:

>Barry Yu said:
>

>>William Hooper wrote:
>>

>[snip]
>

>>>You might also attempt to telnet into the VNC port (from
>>>fc2-station-1):
>>>

>>>telnet localhost 5911
>>>
>>>Possibly you have a firewall blocking access from another PC?
>>>

>>I can telnet from remote machine to vnc server without problem.
>>

>>Here are 2 results of telnet ;
>>

>>root at fc2-station-1 root]# telnet localhost:5911 localhost:5911/telnet:
>>Name or service not known
>>

>Look at my original message, you are using the wrong syntax.

William, the problem is now fixed - unintentionally and I still don't
know  why all these happened;

Since you mentioned that there is a possibility that the firewall may
have blocked the remote vnc client,
so I disabled the firewall  by Main menu->System settings->Security
level, and then the remote vnc
client can connect  to vnc server at port 5811.

But since then, the remote vnc client can alway connect to vnc server
with the port 5811 even I enable
the firewall again up to now.

So the fix is - Turn off the firewall and turn it back on again! I don't
have a clue what happened.