yum flavors vs/ fc1, fc2, fc3...infinity

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sat Jul 17 19:58:02 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-17 at 10:03, William Hooper wrote:
> Timothy Murphy said:

> >> That's not my impression at all.  There were some specific problems but
> >>  nothing disasterous.
> >
> > As I understand it, there was an apparent partition table error
> > on dual boot machines.
>
> There is an error with _some_ dual boot machines, not all.  That is why the cause wasn't tracked down until shortly after the release.
>
> --
> William Hooper

Having experienced this problem with -one- of my machines I firmly
believe that part of the issue is the system bios not properly handling
LBA for some drives.  The only board I had problems with was an MSI
board that in bios said the drive was using LBA but it reported the
physical C/H/S parameters.

The problem AFAICT is not actually the drive or fedora, but is the bios
not properly handling LBA.

With fdisk -l it also reported those parameters and after using the
sfdisk fix found here all my problems went away.

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-May/msg00908.html

NOTE:  I had to use the two step fix above instead of the simpler one
below because of errors being reported by sfdisk that prevented the
simpler fix

http://www.fedorafaq.org/#nodualboot