Burning the Rescue CD error

fredex fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sat Jul 17 20:13:37 UTC 2004

On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 10:11:17AM -0500, Robert wrote:
> Philippe wrote:
> >On Sat, 2004-07-17 at 01:26, Jerry Schromm wrote:
> >
> >>Hi everyone. Hey I was failing to burn the FC2 i386 Rescue disc with
> >>some error. Couldn't follow it or something. Should have wrote it down
> >>verbatim. Anyway it burned when I put Nero the burning software on
> >>Disc at Once instead of what it was on Track at Once.
> >>
> >>So is Disc at Once fine to create that rescue disc?? Let me know. I
> >>have yet to try it to see if it works. By the way I burned all the
> >>other ISO's to the Fedora core 2 with Track at Once. Tell me what you
> >>think.
> >
> >Hi,
> >
> >For information, I burn my ISO CD exactly same I did for my rescue CD,
> >but it was with K3B under Linux. I think the default is TAO for burning
> >CD with K3B. Maybe a medium erro, try to burn at 4x only.
> >
> >Maybe it helps.
> >
> >Philippe
> >

> Just yesterday I spent several hours and about 30 CDRs, proving that in
> order to burn CDs reliably from the cdrecord cli the "-dao" option was
> required. **This was on MY system. YMMV**

Just my $0.02, situations like this are exactly the reason why I keep
a handfull of CDRW blanks around here. So that when I have a problem, or
want to test something I won't be wasting CDRs, even if they are cheap
(especially when I wait til I get 'em on sale with rebates to buy a
whole bunch). They aren't high-speed, only 4X, but sometimes they'll
save you from making a pile of coasters.

> My primary box:
> ASUS A7N8X Deluxe ver 2.0 m/b
> Athlon XP 2700+
> 512MB DDR
> Sony DRU-530A
>  uname -a
> Linux mavis 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl #1 Wed Jan 7 12:57:33 EST 2004 i686
> athlon i386 GNU/Linux
> Testing (stumbling about in the dark???) was done using Sony brand CDRs
> rated for speeds 1x - 48x.
>

> I burned good CDRs at speeds up to 40x (drive's rated max) using the
> -dao option but consistently got platters at any speed (I think I tried
> 2x) without "-dao".  Since my burner is a recent addition, I tried
> burning the same files using my old LG CDRW which now resides in an old
> box running (at that time) FC2, kernel 2.6.6-something.
>
> I know that in the past, $ cdrecord -v dev=1,0,0 *discN*
> (from the directory containing the iso images, N=CD number)
> would always produce good CDs. But it sure didn't when I tried burning
> the FC3t1 iso files to CD.
>
> BTW, I settled on that option as the key by looking at the command
> string used by XCDRoast (which is admittedly cumbersome but reliable
> without exception), discarding the irrevelant stuff (gracetime=, etc)
> and eliminating the other options by trial & error.
>
> I hope someone can give a valid explanation.

Not me, sorry. Perhaps Schilly (maintainer of cdrecord, et al) could
if he were to read your plea, as I assume he understands how those
things work! :^)

  Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He
 will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding