Lexar multi-card reader and devlabel problems on FC1

Anand Buddhdev anand at celtelplus.com
Sat Jul 17 20:23:35 UTC 2004

Hi everyone,

I posted some time ago about my Lexar multi-card reader, and how I could
not get linux to see the 3 slots. William Hooper suggested that I could
pass an option to the scsi_mod module to make it probe all the LUNs on
the reader, and so I added:

options scsi_mod max_scsi_luns=3

to my /etc/modules.conf (I found the answer on Linux Journal's website).

So now things move on a bit, and upon inserting my card-reader into the
USB hub, all 3 slots are indeed detected, albeit, with delays, because
the first 2 slots don't have cards in them, and the system waits to
detect the medium. Anyway, after several seconds, /dev/sde is detected
as my SD card. Now I can mount it, and use it thus:

mount /dev/sde1 /mnt/sdcard

However, my ultimate goal is to be able to mount the device without
having to look at /var/log/messages each time to figure out which device
name was assigned to it. I have been using devlabel with my USB drive,
and it works great! So I ran the following, to figure out the UUID of
the SD card:

devlabel printid -d /dev/sde1

This is where things fail. For 45 seconds, nothing happens, and then
devlabel comes back with nothing. Meanwhile I see in /var/log/messages:

kernel: sdc: Unit Not Ready, sense:
kernel: Current 00:00: sense key Not Ready
kernel: Additional sense indicates Medium not present
kernel: sdc : READ CAPACITY failed.
kernel: sdc : status = 1, message = 00, host = 0, driver = 08
kernel: Current sd00:00: sense key Not Ready
kernel: Additional sense indicates Medium not present
kernel: sdc : block size assumed to be 512 bytes, disk size 1GB.
kernel: sdc: Write Protect is off
kernel:  sdc: I/O error: dev 08:20, sector 0
kernel:  I/O error: dev 08:20, sector 0
kernel:  unable to read partition table
kernel: Device not ready.  Make sure there is a disc in the drive.
kernel: usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
kernel: sdd: Unit Not Ready, sense:
kernel: Current 00:00: sense key Not Ready
kernel: Additional sense indicates Medium not present
kernel: sdd : READ CAPACITY failed.
kernel: sdd : status = 1, message = 00, host = 0, driver = 08
kernel: Current sd00:00: sense key Not Ready
kernel: Additional sense indicates Medium not present
kernel: sdd : block size assumed to be 512 bytes, disk size 1GB.
kernel: sdd: Write Protect is off
kernel:  sdd: I/O error: dev 08:30, sector 0
kernel:  I/O error: dev 08:30, sector 0
kernel:  unable to read partition table
kernel: Device not ready.  Make sure there is a disc in the drive.
kernel: usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout

So, the probes aren't getting as far as /dev/sde. Can anyone offer any
suggestions as to what is wrong and how I can proceed from here?