FC2/mySQL (OT?)

John Dangler jdangler at atlantic.net
Sat Jul 17 20:52:53 UTC 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com]
On Behalf Of Alexander Dalloz
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2004 4:43 PM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: Re: FC2/mySQL (OT?)

Am Sa, den 17.07.2004 schrieb John Dangler um 22:19:

> when running mysql from a command line (FC2), I cannot connect as
> 'root at localhost'.
> However, phpMyAdmin connects with the same user/password and is fine.
> I also have a test user who can only connect to the 'test' database, and
> that works fine, as well.
> If I check the grants, etc on the root user, everything is granted to that
> user.
> The other user installed (localhost) has no privileges, but I thought that
> user was the registering of the host.
> Can anyone point me in a direction to get this resolved?

> John Dangler

Your description is a bit confuse and lacks important information.

>You did set a password for the MySQL root user? Important: the MySQL
>root user is not the same as the system root, means they can have
>different passwords set.
Yes, the root user for mysql has its own password.

>How do you use the mysql command line? What exactly do you type in and
>what is the error message you get?
[jd at nebo jd]mysql --user=root
ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'root at localhost' (Using password:NO)
-> The docs say that if a password is not supplied, that the user will be
prompted for one.

>Did you read the MySQL documentation on the www.mysql.com site? It
>contains very good help and explanations about such basic things.
I've been reading through it, which is how I got as far as I have already.

I have a second user - 'test', who has limited access to the test database
(SIUD), and that one connects fine also.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) Athlon CPU kernel 2.6.6-1.435.2.3.uml
Serendipity 22:38:53 up 4 days, 20:21, load average: 0.37, 0.41, 0.43