Laptop Support - (terminal selection on installation)

M3 Freak m3freak at rogers.com
Sun Jul 18 01:19:49 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 17:47, Terry Linhardt wrote:
> Either I am overlooking something, or the display for a laptop screen
> becomes a trial-and-error proposition. Oh, I get it to work. But, it's
> always a struggle, and I'm never sure if I'm doing it right.
>
> Thoughts? Tips?

Well, I've found that for laptops with "standard" displays, setting up
the LCD has been easy.  By standard I mean the traditional "4:3" or "TV"
type of screen format.

It's the new widescreen laptop LCDs that give me the fits.  If I don't
know the sync rates, I have a very hard time to get the full resolution
of the LCD working properly.

I would recommend that if you're installing FC or any other Linux distro
on a Laptop with a widescreen LCD, you check your LCDs resolution with
Windows before you blow it away.  I've found that sometimes the docs
that come with the laptop do not list the complete specs for the LCD.
When that happens, it's really hard to configure X to work with a 16:9
display, unless of course you can find info online.

I am hoping that sometime soon LCD resolution detection will improve for
16:9 screens so that there as easy to setup as the 4:3 types.

HTH a little,

Kanwar
Systems Aligned Inc.
www.systemsaligned.com