SNMP configuration

Cowles, Steve steve at stevecowles.com
Sun Jul 18 14:01:55 UTC 2004

Franco wrote:
> Hi, i need to configure SNMP, i noticied that snmpd daemon is
> workink but i can't read the community from mrtg on the same
> network but on other server.
> Can anyone tell me how i need to configure snmpd.conf?
> Thanks.

I have always edited the second example in snmpd.conf to meet my
requirements (see below). Notice the second com2sec line matches my internal
LAN address space. i.e. snmp queries coming from 192.168.8.0/22 are
Read-Only, use the community of MyROComm and can be v1 or v2c based.

Steve Cowles

com2sec local     localhost       MyRWComm
com2sec lan       192.168.8.0/22  MyROComm

##     group.name sec.model  sec.name
group MyRWGroup  v1        local
group MyROGroup  v1        lan
group MyRWGroup  v2c       local
group MyROGroup  v2c       lan

##           incl/excl subtree                          mask
view all    included  .1                               80

##                context sec.model sec.level prefix read   write  notif
access MyROGroup ""      any       noauth    exact      all    none   none
access MyRWGroup ""      any       noauth    exact      all    all    all