Fedora Core 2 and Windows xp

Mikael Konttinen micken at home.se
Sun Jul 18 16:45:21 UTC 2004

Ori,

No, I believe that is because you have overwritten the MBR (Master Boot
Record) with GRUB, something that Windows XP cannot handle as it needs its
own (NT) bootloader.

To recover your Windows into booting condition, you have to boot from the
Windows CD into Recovery console and type FIXMBR. After that you should be
able to boot Windows but not Linux. Then you have to re-install GRUB on your
/boot partition bootblock, NOT on the MBR!

To boot Linux from the NT bootloader, you have to make a file of the linux
/boot partition bootblock using dd and reference to it in the hidden system
file c:\boot.ini.

If you want to use GRUB as first bootloader, you make the /boot partition
active partition using fdisk. To be able to boot Windows XP from GRUB, add
the following lines to grub.conf:

title WindowsXP
    rootnoverify (hd0,x) <-- where x is your WinXP partition number, most
likely (hd0,0)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

For further (and more verbose) information, check out:
http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux/grub-w2k-HOWTO.html

A dd ported to windows can be found at:
http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/rawwrite/dd.htm

(Note that dd for win32 references to harddisk volumes not as /dev/hdXY, but
as \\?\Device\HarddiskX\PartitionY where both X and Y are numeral counting
from zero)

Hope this helps

Mkn.