Gaim Upload

Andrés González Cantú agc at member.fsf.org
Sun Jul 18 18:24:59 UTC 2004

El sáb, 17-07-2004 a las 20:16, Cameron Simpson escribió:
> On 23:39 17 Jul 2004, Tim Raats <vectrox at home.nl> wrote:
> | I have a problem when I send files to friends with Gaim. The maximum
> | upload speed of sending files is 6 kb/s. But my normal upload speed is
> | 64KB/s.... How can I increase the speed of sending files ?
>
> How sure are you about this? I ask because the discrepancy is roughly
> a factor of 10, which is suspicious because it almost always means you
> are talking about BITs in one place and BYTEs in another (a factor of 8,
> but protocol overhead will raise the cost per byte slightly, so 10 is
> a handy rule of thumb). If you link is 64kilobits per second (eg ISDN)
> then an upload speed of 6 kilobytes per second is perfectly fine.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au> DoD#743
> http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/
>
> But what ... is it good for?
>       --Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM,
>         1968,  commenting on the microchip.

Dear Cameron,

Two days ago a friend of mine send me an audio file ("Seet Home
Alabama", by the way, ;-). I was using Gaim with the MSN
protocol because my friend uses Windows. My internet
connection is 1024 kbps, I have a little LAN at home and my other two
workstations were turned off, so my bandwidth was not penalized, and my
download speed never raised 6.3 kbps. I really don't think this is
normal. Even more, every time this friend send me some file via MSN
Messenger-Gaim (MSN plugin) the same speeds are reached.

Before someone points it out, I must say that my friend's internet connection is also 1024
kbps.

Any clue?

I think I know the reason but I will reserve my thoughts.

Yours very truly,

--
Andrés González Cantú
agc at member.fsf.org