Giga-byte GA-8KNXP mainboard

fredex fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sun Jul 18 19:45:30 UTC 2004

On Sun, Jul 18, 2004 at 10:03:58PM +0300, Georgios Petasis wrote:
> I have a similar model (K8NNXP) which also has the same raid chips
> on board. I have never tried the IT8212 chip, but under core 2
> you can use the Sil3112 chip as a plain IDE controller.
> This means that you can't have raid with this chip for the
> 2 serial ata disks under linux.

I'm not familiar with that particular Gigabyte board, but I'm running
TaoLinux (a RHEL 3 clone) on a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 board, and it
uses the same IT8212 chip.

Using the 2.4 kernel, I'm able to use it to provide support for another 4
IDE drives (though so far I've only used one drive on it, I'm not really
interested in RAID for this home machine). You can get the driver
sources from:

	http://www.ite.com.tw/productInfo/Download.html#IT8212%20ATA133%20Controller

Latest version is 1.45, which I'm using now.

There are instructions (somewhere there) for making an initrd with the
driver, so you can have boot-time support. I'm not using it to boot so
I'm just inserting modules at boot time.

I haven't used it under Fedora, but I'd expect you could make it work,
there's source there for a 2.6 kernel.

> Under fedora core 1, the Sil3112 is not recognised at all,
> so if you want to access disks in it you must have a 2.6 kernel,
> which means at least core 2. I have contacted both Sil & gigabyte
> many times for raid support on the Sil3112 as a plain
> customer. Sil didn't answer at all, and gigabyte suggested to
> install windows (they even pointed a link to download the 64-bit
> beta version!!!). I think you can find raid functionality on the Sil3112
> if you ran redhat 8/9, but not fedora releases (32/64 bit).

I've not looked at using the SATA on this board at all, not having any
SATA drives (having plenty of capacity in PATA drives on the shelf here
and seeing no value in spending another bundle to buy the new drives yet.
some day when I need the capacity and maybe Linux support will have
evolved into a more mature state. At the moment I've got around 160
gigs in the machine, I think that will hold me for the present!).

> Gigabyte does not seem to have good customer support (they don't
> even provide a utility of monitoring cpu temp & fun speed!).
> Lets hope that the hardware at least lives more than a year...

The one time I asked an email question I at least got a prompt reply!

                        The Lord is like a strong tower.