Repost: RedCarpet always fails :(

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Sun Jul 18 19:47:16 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-07-18 at 18:02, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 18 July 2004 11:08, D. D. Brierton wrote:
> >http://open-carpet.org/services/livna/serviceinfo.xml
> FWIW, I get this error message from mozilla-1.7:
> ---------------
> This XML file does not appear to have any style information
> associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
>
> <service name="rpm.livna.org (open-carpet.org)" unique_id="open-carpet-livna"
>  contact_email="open-carpet at open-carpet.org" channels_file="channels.xml.gz"/>
> ---------------
>
> I don't know enough about xml to say if thats right or wrong.

It's fine. That's not an error message, just a warning. The
serviceinfo.xml file is not intended to be displayed to a user so it
doesn't require a stylesheet to be associated with it; it's just used by
Red Carpet to discover what channels a service offers.

> But, on the face of it, that lack of style information should
> probably be fixed at the source.  Or mozilla needs help...

No, Mozilla is fine -- it sees if there is a stylesheet to tell it how
to display the data, finds there isn't one, warns you of that, and then
displays the document tree instead. The xml file itself doesn't need a
stylesheet because it's not intended for being displayed in a browser.

What is mysterious is why on Igor's machine rug/red-carpet is claiming
that it gets a 404 file not found error whenever it tries to access that
file.

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren at dzr-web.com          www.dzr-web.com