Core 3 Release 1 - SELinux is activated by default

Elliot Lee sopwith at redhat.com
Sun Jul 18 23:05:01 UTC 2004

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004, Terry Linhardt wrote:

> Look, I was suggesting something for consideration. The rationale is
> that many individuals don't care to get "entangled" in SELinux at this
> time. There are plenty of other things to be tested. Now, I'll accept
> that the case can be made that the configuration can be readily changed
> via a drop-down box, and an individual should know what they are doing
> when they accept a "default" (which is to implement SELinux). However,
> my sense is that when something is implemented which requires some
> different admin techniques then the default should be to "not
> implement."

Terry,

In any new release, there are usually new features that people don't think
are worth the cost. For example, when Linux switched from libc5 to glibc,
people complained vehemently because we were breaking things "for no good
reason". Yet today, almost everyone would agree that glibc is light years
ahead of where libc5 ever was.

The point is that people are going to have to deal with the change, and
once they go through it, they'll realize its full value. I think becoming
aware of the benefits of SELinux is the best way to find enthusiasm for
the change.

Cheers,
-- Elliot
The daring is in the doing