Problem with kernel upgrade.

Geoff Hacker geoff.hacker at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 00:26:36 UTC 2004

Update:

I have fixed the problem of Linux booting up with the wrong kernel
version number. I had to make a symbolic link 'initrd' to
'initrd-2.6.5-1.358' in /boot. I noticed before that vmlinuz and
System.map both had their own (outdated) symbolic links. They were
pointing to files associated with version 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl. I
updated those links to reflect the new version numbers of vmlinuz and
System.map. Then I created a link to the new initrd as well. It seems
that grub was using the symbolic links to load the correct components.
The second I created abbreviated links to all the different /boot
files with version numbers in their filenames, it worked correctly.
Now when I type in 'uname -r', it correctly gives me '2.6.5-1.358'.

My new problem is that I am getting modprobe errors. They are
occurring in between the swap partition activation and the file system
check. Both those operations by themselves are successful. But in
between them, modprobe says that it cannot locate modules usbcore, hid
and mousedev. I checked for usbcore last night by running a make
menuconfig in my kernel source root directory. In Device Drivers=>USB
Support, "Support for Host-side USB" had a "*" next to it. I have read
that this is the option that corresponds to the usbcore module. But
according to this screen, that module seems built into the 2.6.5
kernel. In which case, why is modprobe looking for it?! Does anyone
know where I can look for scripts that might be running these modprobe
commands? Also, does anyone know the menuconfig options for hid and
mousedev as well? I still can't use my CD drive, and these modprobe
errors are the earliest errors that I am getting. My immediate error
with the CD drive is that /dev/cdrom is not a valid device file. But
this might always be because a module on which the cd drive depends is
missing. I would like to rule out that possibility first.

I will continue to investigate these difficulties. In the meantime,
any suggestions/pointers you may have would be great.

Thanks,

Geoff