How to schedule for every two fridays with cron and/or at?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Jul 19 00:32:28 UTC 2004

On Sunday 18 July 2004 18:06, Mike Fedyk wrote:
>M3 Freak wrote:
>>On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 18:59, Mike Fedyk wrote:
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I have Amanda setup to run a daily backup Monday through Friday
>>> night. That works fine.
>>>
>>>But now I want to add a full backup every two weeks on Friday
>>> night and I'm having trouble creating cron entries that don't
>>> have the commands running on the same day for full and daily
>>> backups.
>>
>>While I appreciate what you're trying to do, do you realize that
>>AMANDA's entire reason for being is to make backups easier by not
>>telling her what to do?  You are supposed to specify your tape and
>> dump cycles, and then let AMANDA figure out the rest.  She'll
>> schedule full dumps when she feels they're required, but the
>> entire decision is based on how you set up the tape and dump
>> cycles.
>
>Yes, I understand that, but sometimes you need to say "yes, there
> was is full backup on X tapes every other Friday" and not have to
> explain that you'll have to check to see which tape contains a full
> backup of this volume.
>
>>AMANDA is a great backup program, but I see people trying to force
>>backup schedules all the time.  It's not needed.
>>
>>You should subscribe to the AMANDA mailing list.  It has got to be
>> one of the best, if not the best, mailing list out there.  People
>> are insanely helpful.
>
>I just did that as a matter of fact.
>
>Amanda looks pretty good now that I'm figuring out how it works, but
> the documentation is horrendous (especially the faq-o-matic).
>
>Mike

The faq-o-matic is I believe, editable.  If you can improve it, and
have the time, please do so.  Be aware that the editor sucks dead
toads thru a soda straw, to plagurize a Joanne Dow phrase.  I'm a vi
man, so I quickly got lost in that thing, whatever it is.

--
Cheers, Gene
There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.