ESP Ghostscript

John Thompson JohnThompson at new.rr.com
Mon Jul 19 01:57:36 UTC 2004

Edwin Humphries wrote:

> I'm trying to make an Epson SC 1160 work under samba, using the gimp driver.
> It prints nicely from KDE, but not from XP.
>
> The only error message I get is in /var/log/cups/error_log, which reads:
>
> Adding start banner page "none" to job 5326.
> Adding end banner page "none" to job 5326.
> Job 5326 queued on 'epson' by 'edwin'.
> Unable to convert file 0 to printable format for job 5326!
> Hint: Do you have ESP Ghostscript installed?
> Hint: Try setting the LogLevel to "debug".
>
> How do I tell if the ghostscript that's installed (7.07-15.2) is ESP
> ghostscript?

"gs -?"  will return a lot of information about ghostscript.  But you
should be able to do this with GNU-ghostscript as well.  IIRC, you have
to tell cups to accept the print job in "raw" form.  In
/etc/cups/mime.convs look for:

# Raw filter...
#
# Uncomment the following filter and the application/octet-stream type
# in mime.types to allow printing of arbitrary files without the -oraw
# option.
#
#
application/octet-stream       application/vnd.cups-raw        0

Make sure the line above is uncommented.  And in /etc/cups/mime.types:

# Raw print file support...
#
# Uncomment the following type and the application/octet-stream
# filter line in mime.convs to allow raw file printing without the
# -oraw option.
#
application/octet-stream

Make sure the above line is uncommented.  Restart cups and try again.

--

-John (john at os2.dhs.org)