nvidia and gl

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Jul 19 04:30:06 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-07-11 at 05:06, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 11 July 2004 03:56, Nifty Hat Mitch wrote:

> >> Sorry if this becomes a duplicate.  I sent it but another message
> >
> >It did...
> >
> >> The xorg.0/log follows:
> >> --------------
> >
> >That looks as if the right driver has loaded
> >now look at the libraries that get loaded.
> >What do you see if you do this:
> >    $ strace -f -o /tmp/trace-glxgears glxgears
> >    472 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1024.400 FPS
> >    $ grep lib /tmp/trace-glxgears
> >    6018  open("/usr/lib/libGL.so.1", O_RDONLY) = 3
> >
> >The key is that non of the libraries should be Mesa GL libraries.  I
> >recently did a "by the numbers reinstall" of the nVidia package
> > because a Mesa update conflict with libraries.   Not only a kernel
> > update but Mesa and other X11 libs will invite a reinstall.
> >
> >Watch out for tls libs.  Some funky stuff was going on with those
> >libs.
>
> I wonder if that was the reason for the funky key repeats and very
> slow screen updates of the cursor position back when I had an nvidia
> card in here, but thought I was running the nv driver.  When I had to
> buy another card, it was an ati, and I went thru the system nukeing
> nvidia version named libraries and the std named softlinks to them,
> and re-pulling them out of the XFree86 archives as required.
>
> To make a long story short, I've not had the sluggish key repeat or
> cursor position update problem since.  Fixing my faty fingered typu's
> is now once again smooth and easy.
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene
> There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.
> Soap, ballot, jury, and ammo.
> Please use in that order, starting now.  -Ed Howdershelt, Author
> Additions to this message made by Gene Heskett are Copyright 2004,
> Maurice E. Heskett, all rights reserved.

Thanks Gene (and everyone else) for the pointers in the right direction.
I have been digging and reading since you sent your reply, and followed
all the steps listed in the README included with the nvidia drivers all
to no avail.

Yesterday (or earlier today) someone posted this link.
http://www.fedorafaq.org/#nvidia
(Probably Max with the update on the Fedora FAQ)

There I found the instructions to do
rpm -e --nodeps xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL
(I have seen nothing else that mentioned removing the mesa libraries as
a fix for the slow frame rate)

Before I did this glxgears was giving me about 5 FPS output.
After doing the above command I get
5936 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1187.200 FPS

This is more like what I expected, and with patience and persistence I
got the slow output problem resolved.

Thanks for the FAQ and the helpful pointers there as well.