Would you put web-server on the same machine as your company internal database?

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Mon Jul 19 09:07:06 UTC 2004

Apollo at Carmel Music & Entertainment wrote:
> I thinking about consolidating my two servers into one. Right now I have
> separate server for my Apache/RealMedia server and separate server for
> Samba/MySQL for internal use.
> Would you consolidate these two into one?

Absolutely not. Any compromise of the Web server would expose your internal
database.

> My perimeter is guarded by a custom firewall machine.

You've opened holes in it into the Web server.

The webserver should be in the DMZ with the other server on the internal
interface of the firewall, in a different subnet.

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555