Oddities w/ Sound, Video Effects FC2 -- mobo-related??

Bob Chiodini chiodr at kscems.ksc.nasa.gov
Mon Jul 19 13:18:36 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 09:05, Clint Harshaw wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I've completed my first build of a computer and have now installed FC2
> on it. It took a few extra days to get FC2 loaded because I neglected to
> update the BIOS, as once I did that, FC2 installed without a hitch
> (Thank you to Artur Sampaio for the tip!). I've got these hardware specs:
>
> ASUS A7V8X-X mobo
> ASUS Radeon 7000 video card
> Antec Sonata Case
>
> I'm not doing anything special for the video driver. I've got selected
> the ATI Radeon 7000 video card, and the ViewSonic VG800 monitor, both of
> which were in FC2.
>
> There are a couple things that are behaving not as expected on this
> machine compared to other machines that I have installed FC2 on, and I'm
> wondering if it has to do with my choice of mobo/video card.
>
> 1. Although I have the pc speaker connected from the case to the mobo, I
> don't have a system bell.
>
> 2. When Chromium is played, the sound track music is actually much
> faster than it ought to be. The pitch is correct, but the tempo seems to
> waver between 1.5 and 2 times as fast as it should be.
>
> 3. When the Ant Spotlight screensaver is used, the ant shows up just
> fine, but there is no spotlight. That is, the only thing I see is the
> ant turning at the center of the screen.
>
> Is anyone else having similar behavior, or know what I could do to
> remedy these minor differences? Did I just pick an inappropriate
> mobo/video card?
>
> In terms of getting "real work" done, FC2 is working nicely for me.
> Thank you to the developers and community for putting it all together.
>
> Clint

Clint,

If you are running gnome, try modprobing pcspkr.  That should restore
your system bell.  There are some comments about how to do this
permanently in the archives.  I don't remember exactly, rc.modules comes
to mind.

As far as the antspotlight screen saver:  I just tried it on my
proprietary laden driver ATI 9500 and noticed that the spotlight is
pretty dim.  Forgive me for asking, is your monitor brightness up high
enough?

As to the chromium sound question, no answer other than it sounded okay
on my machine at home, but I really wasn't paying that much attention.

Bob...