Unable to record/capture sound using a microphone

Frans Coppens frans at coppens.demon.nl
Mon Jul 19 15:22:06 UTC 2004

Hi,

I'm unable to record/capture any sound with a microphone. I am however
able to hear my own voice through my speakers, so I guess i did well on
the hardware installation part ;)

I never noticed it before because I never used a Mic under Linux. Today
I'd heard of a nice litte app for linux called 'Skype'. A VioP app that
uses standard P2P technology. The program works fine, but the person on
the other end of the line is unable to hear me, although I'm able to
hear him.

First I thought it was a bug in Skype but when I searched deeper and
deeper I came tot the conclusion that I was not able to record anything
at all.

I fiddled around with mixer settings in amix, alsamix and Kmix, but I
can't choose any Input devices ????

Please help me out, cause this is very annoying. Thought sound problems
in Linux were something of the past :s

Im running FC2 on a standard FC2 SMP kernel (latest in tree) with a
SoundBlaster Audigy 2 souncard.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Frans Coppens