serving pop3

Jonathan T. Steadman fedoracore at stny.rr.com
Mon Jul 19 19:23:44 UTC 2004

> Your email address is xxx at youripaddr and, if you have sendmail or some other
> MTA running and you have port 25 open, then the mail will arrive you your
> machine.  The mail will then be put in /var/mail/xxx.  When you login to
> dovecot with your POP mail client, dovecot will handle the dialog with your
> mail client.
>
> dovecot handles retrieval for your mail client.
>
> sendmail handles receiving mail from other systems and sending mail from your
> system to other systems.
>
> If you want a friendlier email address, you can get a free dynamic DNS at
> http://www.dyndns.org or, if you want to put down a little money, you can get
> your own custom domain name.  There's a small client you download from their
> site that keeps the DNS in synch with your current IP address.
> --
>    Steve

I am still not receiving any mail when i send to xxx at myipaddr though, I
also checked out that site and created a domain, thanx that is pretty
cool, anywayz I have hardware filewall (my router) to send anything from
port 25 to me 192.168.2.4, and also in fedora port 25 is open as well
sendmail is definatly running to because I can send via sendmail in
terminal.  Any ideas?  I am stumped.  Also I have just left dovcot alone
right now just working on getting sendmail to work, I just check
/var/mail/xxx, also I can send everything local to, like if i were to
send from UID 500 i can use sendmail to send to UID 502 and that works
fine.  From hotmail though if i send it doesnt seem to ever arrive.
though i never recieve delivery status notice like i usually do on
hotmail if something doesn't get to proper destination