kermit and ssh in FC2

Matthew Walker m.g.walker at massey.ac.nz
Tue Jul 20 00:22:58 UTC 2004

Hello,

If someone can help me with this problem I'll be amazed.

Using kermit, I cannot connect using ssh.  This has been a problem only
since I installed Fedora Core 2.

Under Fedora 1, I was able to start kermit and then enter "ssh
hostname".  I would then be presented with a terminal and sending and
recieving files was fine.

With Fedora 2 I start kermit in the same way, and enter "ssh hostname".
After a few seconds, it now returns with the standard kermit prompt.  No
error message appears, but then no terminal appears either.

I've got no idea where to start!  I've checked the ssh command using
(under kermit) "show ssh".  That told me the ssh command was "ssh -e
none".  "ssh -V" returns "OpenSSH_3.6.1p2, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0,
OpenSSL 0x0090701f".  "kermit -V" tells me I've got "C-Kermit 8.0.209,
17 Mar 2003, for Red Hat Linux 8.0".  I've also tried different
hostnames; even "ssh 127.0.0.1" gives me the same response.  I can
access all these resources by using only ssh (i.e. without starting
kermit first), but file transfers are very difficult that way.

Can anyone suggest any other checks that may point to a problem?  Or
better still, does anyone know why this problem exists and didn't before?

Regards,

Matthew.