rivafb and NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6106-pkg1 with the kernel#2.6.6-1.435.2.1

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Jul 20 08:58:06 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 07:40:12AM +0200, Chadley Wilson wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> When installing the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6106-pkg1 on the
> 2.6.6-1.435.2.1 kernel I get a message saying that rivfb must be
> disabled in the kernel. But I can continue but conflict between the
> rivfb and nvidia drivers may occur, or some thing like that anyway.
>
> If I run lspci the rivfb module is not loaded.
> But if I run "X" from the command line in runlevel 3 to test, it works
> but then my prompt doesn't come back when I exit X.
>
> I also noticed the problem if I am in gnome and do a <ctrl><alt><f1> the
> console is is unusable.
> The question is this, is there a better kernel rpm available or must I
> recompile my kernel without rivafb (where I always get errors on make
> modules_install). ?

Not really, but there are nvidia rpms that you can use with
2.6.6-1.435.2.1 at

http://atrpms.net/name/nvidia-graphics/

Follow the instructions at http://atrpms.net/install.html and in the
description of the rpms (mainly move /etc/X11/xorg.conf.nvidia to the
right config file location, e.g. no ".nvidia" suffix).

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net