ftp and passive mode

Matthew Walker m.g.walker at massey.ac.nz
Tue Jul 20 10:43:42 UTC 2004

Craig White wrote:

>On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 20:35, Doug Maurer wrote:
>

>>I've asked this question before, but nothing has helped
>>
>>I'm trying to ftp out, I can log into a remote system (another FC2
>>system, mine, configured with vsftpd and NAT running.)
>>
>>on the local side I get
>>227 Entering Passive Mode (x,x,x,x,80,76)
>>ftp: connect: No route to host
>>
>>I can log into another system like ftp.linux.ncsu.edu just fine.
>>
>>only thing is, its only this box, on the remote box I can ftp out to
>>another fc2/fc1, etc.. with no problem.
>>
>>the local box was just reloaded from scratch. with basic iptables
>>running.. with no local nat. and still get the error.
>>
>>does anyone have any idea, what might be causing this?

I've had this problem too.  I struggled for quite a while with it.
Finally I was told that it must be that my DSL router configuration is
broken (FWIW: I have an external Dynalink job).  Damned if I wanted to
believe that, but I could do nothing else.  Please tell me if you
uncover the real answer.

Matthew.