Graphical boot gone awry

Bruno Santos bvsantos at hal.min-saude.pt
Tue Jul 20 11:45:19 UTC 2004

Andrew Robinson wrote:

> My graphical boot (rhgb) has somehow gone awry. Instead of either the
> image of the workstation or the window showing the boot messages, all I
> get is a black screen with the X-Windows "X" cursor in the center. It's
> like the graphical boot program has lost a configuration file and it
> doen't know what to display. My attempts to troubleshoot the problem
> have run into a sort of brick wall. There does not seem to be much
> information on rhgb available. Can someone offer a suggestion as to what
> I might have done or how I might find out what I've done?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Andrew Robinson

Hello.
Putting the problem that way, is hard to say.

Does your system boot (and goes to X), if you, in the kernel line remove
the rhgb parameter?
did you install any driver for your graphics card ??

i had the same problem a days before: installed latest drivers for
NVIDIA, and disabled on-board sound-card . my motherboard is MSI with
NFORCE2 chipset.

dont know why, but if on-board sound disabled, X dindt start !!! Odd .....
anything to do with NVIDIA driver ???? perhaps !!!

just try to be more specific !!!

Cheers

bvsantos at hal.min-saude.pt
--