Email Signatures

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Tue Jul 20 14:05:56 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 14:54, Douglas Furlong wrote:
> Good afternoon.
>
> Some one mentioned several months ago, that there is a "standard" way of
> having signatures appear on an email, so that when replying the original
> signature is stripped, and as such prevents constant duplication of
> redundant data.
>
> I thought this was stipulated by having "-- " in a line of it's own
> above the signature, but that does not appear to work. If any one knows
> of an RFC on this, I would appreciate a link to it (I had a quick look
> but couldn't find any thing).

It does work, as you can see. Evolution automatically stripped your
signature and the list signature that comes after it. "-- " on a line of
its own is the correct string. If it isn't working in some email program
you are using, perhaps the program in question is not following the
standard. or has a bug.

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren at dzr-web.com          www.dzr-web.com