Email Signatures

Matt Morgan matt.morgan-fedora-list at brooklynmuseum.org
Tue Jul 20 16:06:13 UTC 2004

On 07/20/2004 10:27 AM, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

>Am Di, den 20.07.2004 schrieb ne... um 16:14:
>

>>>I've just got a bounce with the following subject.
>>>
>>>                          Subject:
>>>Symantec Mail Security detected that
>>>you sent a message containing a
>>>suspicious attachment.
>>>(SYM:02629890341371604646)
>>>

>>I suspect that this is a virus that was sent from someone
>>who had your e-mail address in their addressbook. That's
>>the in thing these for viruses and worms...
>>
>>N.Emile...
>>

>That is quite right. I too get such bounces from time to time. I
>remember this crap Symantec Mail Security shit - silently hope it could
>be configured to not bounce to innocent victims of sender faking worms.
>There are still a lot of systems around in the world where the
>responsible administrators left to see that nowadays bouncing incoming
>mail they discover as having virus/worm freight shouldn't be bounced.
>Reject the mail with a valid DSN during DATA phase but not later after
>acceptance and then bouncing to who seems to be the sender.
>
>Alexander

Simple solution: just don't bounce virus-infected messages. They're ALL
using forged headers. Delete them and forget about it.

This drives me crazy--we are so careful and clean when it comes to
antivirus--we never get infected (knock on wood)--but every day I have a
user panic over one of these bogus bounces. I spend as much time
explaining these confusing messages as I spend preventing virus/worm
infection. What absolutely enrages me is when they also contain an
advertisement and a link the AV company.