turn off laptop screen

Simon admin at thelight.org.uk
Tue Jul 20 17:25:49 UTC 2004

Ow Mun Heng wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 14:11, Simon wrote:
>
>>Is there a simple command to turn off the monitor/laptop screen? I dont
>>need any other power saving features activated, or a screensaver to run,
>>I just want to turn the laptop screen on and off at a specific time via
>>a crontab.
>

> You can use this

Thanks, ive managed to get the screen to turn itself off via crontab
using this command, however, i cant get it to turn back on without
manual intervention. Im using the command

/usr/X11R6/bin/xset -display :0 dpms force on

Which doesnt do anything, although the command registers in the cron
log. From the man page i think that this command does exist. Am I
missing something?