Playing encrypted DVDs with Xine

Jim Higson jh at 333.org
Tue Jul 20 21:02:30 UTC 2004

I've played quite a few DVDs before, but with one I hired today I get the
message in Xine (or Kaffeine):

	The source seems encrypted, and can't be read.
	Your DVD is probably crypted. According to your
	country laws (sic), you can or can't install/use libdvdcss
	to be able to read this disc, which you bought.
	(Media stream scambled/encrypted)

I have libdvdcss installed, xine is refusinig to use it.

This is odd. For a start I don't know how Xine knows what country I live in
(the uk) and I think the message was more aimed at people living in the US,
where, by my understanding, copyright law favours large companies more.

Is there a country setting in Xine, or an option somewhere to tell it to
ignore really stupid laws?

The relavent packages I have installed are:
xine 0.99.2-1.1.fc2.fr
libdvdcss 1.2.8-4.1.fc2.fr
kaffeine 0:0.43-0.lvn.1.b.2