re sharing

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Jul 20 21:13:58 UTC 2004

dsavage at peaknet.net wrote:
> On Tuesday July 20, 2004 at 10:22 a.m. "Wolfgang" <wolfgang at rpi.net.au>
> wrote:
>
>>But the one thing that confuses me is that, when I try to mount the nfs
>>share from the client machine, I keep getting a "permission denied"
>>message. (For the purpose of the test, both systems have been setup as
>>the root user. Until I understand better how this is supposed to work,
>>and the man pages, don't seem to make any sense to me either.)
>>
>>Also, the other confusing thing is that, it's suggested to setup the
>>/etc/exports file as such:- (or use nfs server config tool)
>>
>>/name_of_directory 192.168.0.3(rw,no_root_squash)
>>
>>The mount it on the client as:-
>>
>>mount 192.168.0.4:/name_of_directory/ /mount_point
>>
>>The above configuration and mount setup, doesn't make sense. If the
>>server address is x.x.x.3 and it's mounted as x.x.x.4! It's not
>>possible, from what I can see here.
>>
>>Any other ideas/help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

No, the first line is the exports file on the server (192.168.0.4),
saying the only machine allowed to mount it is 192.168.0.3.

The second line is the actual mount command run on the client,
specifying  the server at 192.168.0.4.

> Wolf,
>
> Server with /etc/exports file:  192.168.0.3
>
> You might try using adding a permanent mount line in your clients'
> /etc/fstab files with the "users" option:
>
> 192.168.0.3:/name_of_NFS_shared_directory/ /local_mount_point  nfs  \
> noauto,users,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr  0  0
>        ^^^^^

Don't forget you also must have portmap, nfsd and rstatd running on the
server, and (at least) portmap on the client.
-    Working with Linux is like wrestling with a worthy opponent.    -
-   Working with Windows is like picking on an annoyed child with a  -
-                            loaded handgun.                         -